Supervises and coordinates activities of workers within the QC department. Responsible for performing quality control tests on concrete materials and plastic and hardened concrete. These tests include but are not limited to; slump, air content, and mix temperature; unit weight, yield, and moisture calculations; gradations of aggregates, specific gravities, casting of beams and cylinders, and the flexural and compressive testing of these cast samples.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Supervises daily quality control operations and QC Field personnel.
· Confers with plant managers and production personnel to establish project schedules according to factors such as truck capacities, distances to delivery site, and unloading time.
· Communicates with their supervisor and Human Resource department on all issues affecting employee hiring, promotion, discipline and termination.
· Monitors all product control testing by all concrete companies for slump, air content, temperature, and cast test specimens.
· Monitors all aggregate, admixture, cement, and associated products testing including sieve analysis, specific gravities, etc.
· Performs control tests on new mix designs and concrete materials in the plastic and hardened concrete state including slump, air content, temperature, unit weight, yield; moisture and gradation of aggregates; specific gravities and cast strength specimens.
· Conducts and maintains current State and NRMCA plant and delivery equipment certifications.
· Reviews all State and Commercial project specifications prior to projects being bid.
· Prepares and submits all concrete mix and material certifications and submittals for State and Commercial work.
· Responsible for the design of all concrete mix specifications.
· Develop and maintain professional relationships with General Managers, Plant Managers, in-house testing personnel, state and local testing labs, existing and new customers.
· Spot check raw material stockpiles for segregation and inter-mingling or contamination of the various aggregates.
· Check scales, proportioning equipment, central and transit mixers, and revolution counters that they are properly functioning and to ensure drums are turning at the correct RPM’s.
· Monitor all DOT & FAA certified inspection work including large commercial and special project work.
· Troubleshoot product issues in the field with; plant manager and QC field technician, and conduct problem resolution with customer upon approval from General Manager.
· Monitor project websites for upcoming project bid specifications.
· Initiate and conduct training, certification, and recertification testing for QC field and plant technicians and maintain training records on all certified employees.
· Attend pre-placement conferences.
· Prepare and present presentations at workshops including power point and pictures.
· Upon approval from their supervisor, attends associated industry meetings.
· Maintain involvement in the local ACI chapter and join the ACI board.
Individual must have knowledge of all raw materials that are used to produce concrete; this includes how a ready mix concrete production facility operates. They must also understand aggregate gradations, how to perform and how to blend aggregates together and establish a combined gradation and interpret results. They should have concrete admixture knowledge of usage and applications. Individuals must have knowledge of ASTM standard that refer to concrete and know how to perform basic ASTM tests on both plastic and hardened concrete. Must be able to calculate concrete mix design by the absolute volume method.
Education and/or Experience
Associate’s degree in Construction Technology/Management, Civil Engineering or equivalent of five years of related experience and/or training. ACI Level I Field Testing Technician and any state certifications required. NRMCA certifications preferred.