17-SOL-0215-Director, Operations - Environmental Health & Safety
o Albuquerque, NM, United States
SolAero Technologies Corp. is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of highly –efficient radiation-hard solar cells, Coverglass Interconnected Cells (CIC), and solar panels for space power applications. Since 2001, SolAero solar cells or panels have supplied primary power to 130 successful space missions with zero on-orbit failures. The Company’s proven manufacturing capability, technology leadership and unsurpassed reliability makes SolAero the supplier of choice for demanding space programs
SolAero Technologies Corp. has an immediate need for a Director, EHS to assist on a full-time position.
The Environmental Health & Safety Director is responsible for development, maintenance, and day-to-day management of all associated EHS activities at all SolAero sites (Albuquerque and California)
The Director develops, implements, coordinates and directs all campus EHS policies, procedures, record maintenance and practices with respect to protecting the environment, SolAero property and assets, ensuring the safety and health of all SolAero employees, contractors, customers and visitors. The Director drives a comprehensive EHS program and demonstrates accountability for functional business and broad company objectives. The Director integrates and develops processes that meet or exceed EHS requirements, and business needs across the organization. He/she manages complex issues within functional area(s) of expertise and is involved in long-term planning and contributes to the overall business strategy.
As a highly effective project leader, the Environmental Health & Safety Director implements activities necessary to effectively direct the comprehensive EHS Program through multiple functions at SolAero. He/she must be able to effectively influence cross functional teams, be action oriented, a self- starter, analytical and strategic thinking, strong in relationship building, able to operate in a complex environment and able to effectively prioritize/drive completion of multiple tasks. The EHS Director is responsible for ensuring site compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health and safety regulations and company policies; for the reduction of risks associated with manufacturing operations and for guiding campus focus on environmental sustainability.
The Environmental Health & Safety Director understands health, safety and environmental problems/opportunities and clearly communicates/drives solutions to a broad stakeholder base, convinces people to change their methods and beliefs through education and motivating individuals to continue their changed behavior. The Director achieves a level of health, safety and environmental management that exceeds industry standards and works with employees to protect the health and safety of staff, visitors and customers by ensuring that risks in the workplace are properly controlled so that impact to the environment are minimized.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Evaluates operations throughout the campus for safety, health, and environmental risks at all company sites
● Develops health and safety procedures and programs for all departments and monitors safety compliance to reduce risks.
● Assists and supports all departments in preparation of risk assessments. Monitors availability and appropriateness of risk assessments and safe working practices.
● Promotes/drives good health, safety and environmental practices throughout all business activities.
● Through strong project leadership skills, directs effective, structured, safety processes to assure a positive safety culture, insisting on consistent implementation of and adherence to policies and procedures.
● Escalates EHS issues/concerns as needed.
● Reviews and updates health, safety and environmental policy statements on an annual basis.
● Participates in Operations Metric Reviews, providing updates to EHS related metrics in alignment with Operations Goals and Objectives.
● Maintains EHS contingency plans, including fire prevention, and procedures for controlling hazardous spills in accordance with government regulation and insurance company requirements.
● Must be familiar with semiconductor industry Fab operations and associated chemical management preferably in the fabrication of GaAs based cells (hydrides, acids, pyrophoric etc.).
● Directs maintenance of material safety data sheets (MSDS) so they are accessible at all times according to regulations. Experience with MSDS management systems.
● Develops inspection policies and establishes regular inspection schedules. Carries out or arranges workplace safety audits to ensure that any remedial recommendations are implemented.
● Directs training sessions for emergency preparedness, confined spaces, electrical safety, machine guarding, fall protection, forklift safety, etc.
● Provides, or where necessary sources, training for staff in relation to EHS policies, practice and procedures.
● Maintains records of hazardous waste, air emission permitting, and water pollution discharge, as well as industrial health monitoring and records of employee hazard exposure according to regulations (OSHA, EPA, DOT, RCRA etc.). Hands-on experience in air and water permitting process.
● Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and standards involving general safety, Process Safety Management, fire safety, environmental safety, and industrial hygiene. Hands-on experience in the implementation and coordination of OSHA General Industry Standards, especially Process Safety Management (29CFR1910.119, Hazard Communication, Lockout /Tag out, Confined Space, Respiratory Protection, Industrial Lift Trucks. PSM knowledge and practical experience is a critical attribute to this position
● Ensures compliances with federal domestic security standards and applicable chemical facility anti-terrorism standards interfacing as needed with the Department of Homeland Security.
● Monitors professional literature and attends seminars, as necessary, to stay current with job requirements.
● Consults with senior management and other managers, giving advice on formulating best-practice policies and procedures.
● Provides independent, professional advice and technical information where appropriate to senior managers and all line managers to enable SolAero to discharge statutory, common and moral obligations, keeping staff and management abreast of changes in EHS legislation and codes of practice
● Maintains accident statistics, analyzes trends and proposes/takes remedial action where necessary. Investigates and arranges for all accidents and near-misses to be investigated, prepares report of findings, including recommendations to prevent recurrence and implements approved course of action.
● Develops procedures to ensure that contractors, suppliers, consultants and other irregular visitors to SolAero comply with relevant legislation and safety policies.
● Identifies opportunities for continuous environmental improvement and implements programs to deliver these. Knowledge of environmental sampling and analysis techniques and protocols.
● Represents SolAero with local and national health, safety and environmental bodies.
● Manages and controls SolAero’s recycling and waste management procedures.
● Provides technical support to the EES / FAC department on projects and building modifications that have environmental impacts and aspects.
● Top project management skills - liaises between management and staff on all matters relating to health, safety and environment to ensure consistent application and understanding of policies and procedures.
● Knowledge and hands on experience in driving/training an Emergency Response function.
● Knowledge, certification in and hands on experience to drive training associated with Hazwopper, CPR, First Aid.
● Knowledge and experience in driving resolving incident investigation
● Ensures maintenance of AS9100 certification
● Bachelor's degree in occupational safety and health, environmental science, or related subject. Master's degree or a professional designation like , ASP, or CSP is desirable – (i.e. Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental Studies, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, Life Sciences or equivalent)
● Ten (10) years of experience in semiconductor industry, consulting, or with a regulatory agency. Five years of management experience in the field is desirable. Demonstrated success in Process Safety Management standard implementation/operation.
● Chemical engineering background preferred.
● Project Management Certification/Experience: excellent skills in written and oral communication.
● Demonstrated verbal, coaching, training and influencing skills, action oriented, self-starting, analytical and strategic thinking, relationship building, program development, ability to operate in a complex environment, ability to effectively prioritize tasks.
● Root Cause & Corrective Action Certification/Experience (6 Sigma a plus).
● Ability to drive and inspect both outdoor and indoor areas to observe/drive compliance with established programs.
● Accountable and organized with an ability to influence peers and others.
● Knowledgeable of EHS Federal/State/Local regulations (OSHA, EPA, DOT, RCRA etc.), with ability to effectively/efficiently apply regulations to manufacturing processes and equipment.
● Knowledge of air permitting requirements and air pollution abatement and control measures for production processes and equipment.
● Knowledge of waste water permitting requirements, treatment procedures, and techniques for production process wastewater streams.
● Knowledge of Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and associated hazardous waste reduction, minimization and disposal alternatives.
● Knowledge of industrial hygiene sampling strategies. Industrial hygiene sampling experience including sample media requirements and sampling; analysis techniques and protocols.
● Good Microsoft Office computer skills with both word processing and database applications.
● Hands-on experience in the handling, storage, manifesting and disposal of hazardous wastes including employee training and record keeping provisions.
In order to be considered for this position you must go to our website www.solaerotech.com, fill out an application and upload your resume
*MUST BE A U.S. CITIZEN OR GREENCARD HOLDER*
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.