TITLE: MANAGER – Peri-Anesthesia Services
ROLE: See job description for Manager for generic job duties.
The Manager of Peri-Anesthesia has the responsibility and authority for directing the management operations and clinical practice for the PACU, Admit/Discharge, and Pre-Anesthesia Clinic (STAR Clinic). The Manager plans with other managers as well as Medical Staff to identify needs, trends, and forecasts needed to provide quality patient care.
AREA OF ASSIGNMENT: Perioperative Services – Main and Day Surgery PACU’s/Admit-Discharge/Star Clinic
HOURS OF WORK: Variable
RESPONSIBLE TO: Vice President, Perioperative Services
The position description is a guide to the critical duties and essential functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and work environment conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and revised to meet the changing needs of the organization.
Washington State licensure as required by position.
Minimum of three years direct supervisory experience.
Five years relevant clinical/technical experience.
Past history of good attendance to VMC standards.
Past history of satisfactory job performance that meets VMC standards.
Demonstrates leadership competence and professionalism
Evidenced-based in practice
Applies “standards” as baseline for competency and performance.
Guides development of policy and procedures to maximize quality surgical outcomes
Maintains consistently high levels of productivity within confines of budget
Matches staff requirements with business needs
Manages staff relationships
Fosters a team environment
Utilizes collaborative decision-making for problem-solving
Assesses staff competencies
Coordinates training for staff to maintain competencies
Works effectively with staff and physicians in a rapidly changing environment.
Participates in quality improvement/patient safety processes appropriate to the position.
Uses computer technology as appropriate.
Works and communicates well in a diverse population.
Communicates and works effectively with the physical and emotional developments of all ages.
Applies Valley Values and Service Guidelines in daily work.
Role models outstanding customer service to every patient and family, every time
Attends a minimum of two educational programs annually related to management and/or clinical areas of responsibility.
UNIQUE PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS, ENVIRONMENT, AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Generic Job Functions: See Generic Job Description for Manager
Unique Job Functions:
• Maintains current knowledge of health care trends and regulatory requirements.
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external customers.
• Builds a culture of quality and patient safety through the facilitation of a shared governance unit-based council.
• Aligns staff resources to appropriate patient care needs.
Actively participates and leads unit and hospital-wide performance improvement teams
Ensures staffing matches demand and is effective in accordance with established guidelines and contracts.
• Prepares operating budget for service area with input from VP
Maintains all areas of responsibility within budget and/or provides appropriate justification for variances.
• Prepares annual capital equipment budget mindful of state-of-the-art technology
Makes purchasing decisions based on cost/benefit analysis
• Addresses all conflict in a timely manner using VMC guidelines.
• Partners with all skill sets and disciplines to ensure optimal patient outcomes.
• Manages a comprehensive communication plan to ensure information is shared with staff in a timely manner.
• Participates in the development of annual Patient Care Services and Perioperative Services Department goals that support UW Medicine goals.
Evaluates, counsels and develops staff
Participates in decisions regarding hiring, evaluations, salary adjustments, promotions, and terminations.
• Schedules and attends staff/in-services meetings
Performs staff and patient rounds per established guidelines
• Develops, implements and monitors compliance to policies, protocols, procedures and standards.
• Completes reports in a timely manner.
• Maintains clinical skills and works clinically as necessary
BSN required. MSN preferred.
Applies Valley Values and Service Culture Guidelines in daily work.