POSITION PURPOSE AND SUMMARY:
The Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) at St. Mary Medical Center is a professional nurse who plans, manages, evaluates and educates the patient diagnosed with various disorders. The APN demonstrates sound judgment based on knowledge and application of professional, departmental and organizational principles and standards. Using critical thinking, the APN makes independent decisions, commensurate with the autonomy, authority and responsibility afforded the APN by the Indiana State Board of Nursing and the Indiana Health Professions Bureau. The APN consults and collaborates with other members of the health care team, the patient, and the family. The APN assists with physician and staff education. As a change agent, the APN develops and modifies programs that will improve the delivery of services while maintaining quality care. The Advanced Practice Nurse may be trained and certified as either a Nurse Practitioner or as a Clinical Nurse Specialist.
• Maintains professional growth and development through continuing education programs, seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations, including self- studies to keep abreast of the latest trends in the field of expertise. Constantly seeking new information.
• Meets the education requirements for the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) certification and Prescriptive Authority by participating in the required continuing education hours. Shares information with the medical and nursing support staff.
• Participates in research activities as approved by the hospital's IRB.
• Participates as a nurse preceptor for undergraduate and graduate nursing students when requested and when job responsibilities allow time for student education.
• CPR certified.
• Certified as a Palliative Care APN or completion within one year of employment